Tuesday, September 29, 2009

So what have I learned on this road to 60?

Well, here's something tangible. In a blog post in June, I discovered I wasn't using enough sunscreen. Columnist Debra Bass said these are the five most important rules for skin care:

Buy sun protection; don't forget to use sun protection; apply more sun protection than you think you need; don't forget to reapply sun protection; do not underestimate the power of sun protection.

So at age 59 and 11 months, I've been using enough sunscreen to keep Neutrogena in business.

There are other things I've learned. It's difficult for me to write in such a personal way so I think I've learned to be more introspective during this exercise about my journey to 60. That's been good for me.

I also learned that a lot of people feel the same way as I do about getting older and they have identified with this blog. That's very cool.

They've told me they are OK with getting older but have some of my fears -- remaining in good health as they get older, wondering if those increasing memory lapses are the beginning of Alzheimer's, hoping they have planned well enough for a financially secure retirement. To that latter point, I say don't retire and keep buying lottery tickets.

Looking at the calendar, I see I'm now 20 days from my 60th birthday. I was asked the other day about what will happen to this blog when I actually turn 60. To tell you the truth, I don't know. I'm having fun writing this. But if it's about turning 60, it seems a bit foolish to continue it after I hit 60.

So the jury is still out on the question of this blog's future.

5 comments:

  1. In the journey of life you can never go wrong in applying sunscreen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunscreen is a great health idea and playing the lottery is a great financial idea. Thanks for your wisdom, wise one. The next time, I'll ask my 5-year-old grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great advice. . . spend some time with a cancer doctor after ignoring sun exposure warnings all your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just change the name to "Surviving being 60." There. Problem solved. Then you can go on to , "Surviving my 6th decade," and so on. You've got a good thing going. Don't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang10: That's a suggestion worth considering. Thanks for reading and thanks for offering encouragement for this blog.

    ReplyDelete