Sunday, September 6, 2009

Wedding memories on a special September evening in a Clovis backyard



One of the nicest things about weddings is the opportunity to catch up with family and friends. As I leave my 50s, I'm realizing just how important these events are to not only bride and group, but also the wedding guests.

Obviously for the married couple, this is a landmark event. They are starting a long journey together, and the wedding represents the first steps on that journey. But the guests also will mark that day as one in which they talked with longtime friends and reminisced with family members. The wedding will be remembered for different reasons by every person in attendance.

On this first Saturday of September, we gathered in the spacious backyard of a Clovis home. The surroundings were wonderful and the ceremony was perfect. Even the hot afternoon gave way to a gentle and cool breeze.

This was the wedding of my nephew -- my brother's son -- and a delightful new member of our family, who has already fit in nicely. Justin and Crissie have been married just over 25 hours as I write this blog. They'll soon be heading for their honeymoon in Monterey.

Friends and family came great distances to mark this occasion. It was great having my daughter home from San Diego for the wedding. Our pastor Tim Rolen, married Justin and Crissie. This was the sixth wedding that he's performed for members of our family.

Pastor Tim talked about his connection to our family. He went to school with my sister at Hoover High. More importantly for this story, he baptized my Dad in 1992, a few days before he died of cancer. That was a pivotal time in the relationship between Tim and our family. This was not a chance encounter with a pastor. I believe it was God's handiwork in using Tim to connect the Lord to our family -- time and again.

My father only came to Jesus in his last dying days. Last night, Tim told of how my father asked him to remind family members that they needed to walk with the Lord. Tim has done that at weddings and funerals ever since. It's a story that must be told at every opportunity to complete what was intended by Him through that important encounter with our family.

This blog is about my journey to age 60, so it's time for the countdown clock: We're at 42 days. That's six weeks until 60. I thank the Lord for the opportunities he gave this Okie boy from a poor family. I have been blessed in so many ways.

I feel myself getting more sentimental about life's memories as I complete my 50s. I suppose that's what happens when you have more years to look back upon that you have in front of you. Well, maybe He will let me live to 120, but I doubt it.

I have another wedding to go to in two weeks when a longtime friend is getting married. I'll stand up with him, as he and his bride take their vows. This is a second wedding for both, and a wonderful second chance. It will be another opportunity to catch up with friends. I love weddings. They have great meanings for all who attend.

9 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord your family knows Jesus. What a wonderful gift your dad left you with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with anonymous. And weddings are important for all the things they bring to family and friends on that special evening. This sounds like one of those very special occasions. How blessed this family is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus loves weddings and what a beautiful time to share the love of Jesus with the wonderful legacy your Father left. It wasn't important how your Father started in life... it was how he ended... knowing the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords! We were blessed to be there and to be at most of your family gatherings!! Pastor Tim is a man of his word! Glory to God!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may have come from the poorest of families, but if you have friends and family that love you, you are the richest man alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KCB I love our family weddings, and Pastor Tim always being there to remind us all what a woderful life we have with the Lord. And how we all miss Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this wonderful tribute to the wedding, your father, and being willing to put yourself out there as you turn 60. I must admit that that's very old. . . I hope I make it. . . But I don't think I would be so open about being so old. LOL... I loved the wedding. We have a great family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As the mother of this handsome young man, my heart is overflowing with joy ! MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED !!! I have a wonderful husband and we together have a wonderful extended family. I wish Justin and Crissie a long and blessed life together. Jim a very Happy Birthday (60th) to a very special brother in law. Love You

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a poignant story-and the best thing is that it is real life...not fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just stumbled upon this posting and I love the message that it sent to people of all ages and connections to a wedding. These times are special. Embrace them.

    ReplyDelete