Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I didn't know this would be like dancing

My brilliant idea of throwing a shot put in a seniors track meet is not exactly on schedule. I have found that this event is not merely one of brute strength. It's almost a ballet as you skip across the ring and push the 12-pound ball with the right force, and without going out of the ring. As you finish, you hop on one foot to avoid fouling.

This reminds me of people who watch Olympic curling on the TV and then say, "I can do that." Well, maybe not. You don't realize that there's a special skill to everything and you need to learn it, and then practice, practice, practice.

I'm working on my shot put technique, as well as increasing my arm and leg strength. My legs are especially tired. My right arm and shoulder feel pretty good, though.

So with 39 days until I turn 60, I'm an old dog trying to learn a very new trick. If I master the steps of the shot put, I may try out for Dancing with the Stars (seniors division).

When my daughter was home this weekend, I had her shooting my technique with the video camera. In my mind, I looked a lot better than what I saw on the video screen. But I have made some progress in distance, and now I'm at 27 feet. I need to throw 36 feet to be competitive and 42 feet to have a chance of placing in a meet.

The meet next Saturday in San Diego is out of the question, and I'm not sure I will have the distance required to make the Oct. 4 meet in Las Vegas. But I'm working on it. Can you imagine throwing the shot and then heading for one of the buffets on the Las Vegas strip?

5 comments:

  1. I admire the fact that you are sticking to it. Most people would have given up long ago, but you... you are still going strong. Hang in there Opinionman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spandy: Thanks for the pep talk. . . I need it sometimes. . . But I have committed myself publicly to doing this so I feel pressured to get it done. I will look like a fool on this blog if I have to report that I was a quitter. Besides, I can't let my fans down. As they said in the incredible story of the Apollo 13 astronauts, "Failure is not an option."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm referring back to your posting about not drinking. . . How can you be 60 and be on the wagon. This is the time of your life that you can be irresponsible. Just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kcb Why the shot put? You are such a great dance, try arobics, I could just see you in the front row doing every move with great poise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KCB,

    I'm doing the shot put because I can't pole vault or do the high hurdles. . . so shot put seems the only track and field event I can do -- although I might try the discus.

    ReplyDelete