Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Did I just admit on the radio that I was turning 60?

My Surviving Turning 60 blog caught the attention of KYNO radio and I spent some time this morning on Alan Autry's talk show on the Big 1300 on the AM dial discussing the blog and the implications of reaching this milestone in 25 days. So this diary of my thoughts on turning 60 is very public now.

I told KYNO listeners that I wanted to do two things as I moved toward age 60: Something intellectual, which is writing this blog and chronicling my feelings; and something physical, which is training for the shot put to compete in a seniors track meet.

Autry seemed stunned that I would be training for the shot put at my age. "Why," he asked. "Because I can't pole vault or do the high hurdles." Of course, I've never done the shot put either, but it seems a better opportunity for me than trying to fling myself over a bar or clear hurdles in a race.

Part of our discussion this morning was about "where the time went," which is what everyone says as they get into their later years. Autry is 57, and he said it seems like only yesterday that he was playing football in college and then in the NFL. Now he's in his late 50s. I feel the same way. . . How did a kid of 19 suddenly become 59?

We talked about the unfinished business we have -- all the things we've yet to do. I like the quotation from an anonymous thinker who said life is a series of short stories. You do things in segments and then move on to other short stories. I'm wondering what the short story of my 60s will read like.

6 comments:

  1. Only time will tell where your life will lead you. But I suspect you still have some wild rides ahead, so hold on to your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Coco. . . I'm hoping I can handle all the wild rides that life throws at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed thar you are doing something "physical" as well as something "intellectual" to celebrate your 60th birthday. Keeping yourself fit is a key to happiness as you age. Don't give your body reasons to shut down beyond what it will do as part of the normal aging process. Exercise, lose weight, don't smoke and drink in moderation. Then it's up to God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't be 60 because that means I'm aging too. I think discus might be a better challenge - writing about politics and "spin"? But perhaps the valley is more like the shot put.
    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the note, Mas. . . But you're just a kid. Your column today in The Fresno Bee about the creative process sure got me thinking about turning 60 and what's happening to my brain. I appreciate you checking in on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this blog must be really something if it caught the eyes of the media. Thanks for writing it, and good luck on the journey.

    ReplyDelete