Thursday, September 17, 2009

Don't worry, be happy

I think I'm pre-disposed to being a happy person, and I've tried to weather problems in an upbeat way. They are usually temporary setbacks and then things right themselves. The one thing you can control is how you react to stuff. I'm pretty good at it, although I mentioned in an earlier post that I got very upset by a telephone customer experience encounter.

As I get older, I have become more mellow. I suppose it's that decreasing testosterone.

I stumbled across an article recently with the headline "10 Tips from Happy People." That headline writer did his/her job because it sucked me in. Out of risk of offending may female friends, I offer this paragraph about happiness:

"Older women become less happy than their male counterparts, who report increased levels of happiness as they age." But what about those 10 tips?

10. Live in a happy country.
9. Solve problems.
8. Simplify your life.
7. Exercise.
6. Accept emotions -- positive or negative.
5. Spend time in nature.
4. Buy Happiness -- if that's possible.
3. Meditate.
2. Study positive psychology.
1. Don't be happy.

OK, the last one needs an explanation. This is what the article says:

"There are actually some compelling ideas against happiness. Naysayers aren't against happiness; rather, they point out some of the effects of happiness that may negatively affect people besides the person who claims to be happy.

"What are the downsides of happiness? For one thing, happier people are more prone to prejudicial behavior [source: Holt]. One possible explanation is that a contented, lackadaisical or happy attitude allows people to easily turn to stereotypes or other caricatures when making judgments."

For me, I'll take what Bobby McFerrin says: "Don't worry, be happy."

1 comment:

  1. It seems to me that 90% of happiness is the right attitude. We all have troubles and it's the way that we react to those troubles that separates happy people from sad people.

    I'm with Bobby McFerrin on this one: "Don't worry, be happy."

    ReplyDelete