Sunday, September 20, 2009

One more wedding to mark the road to 60

We got my pal John married off on Saturday night, and it was a very cool wedding ceremony in a Northwest Fresno backyard. Actually, the backyard was a small park and it was an ideal setting.

John and Stacy wrote their own vows, and they were just about as close to perfect as could be. Getting married a bit later in life gives the bride and groom a wonderful perspective about the importance of that commitment. Don't you wish you were this smart when you were 21? The funny thing is, I thought I knew everything back then. Those were the days when you didn't trust anyone over 30. Now I'm almost twice that age.

I was feeling good in my tux on Saturday night, thinking I looked like Robert Redford. It was more like Fred Flintstone, but this is my blog and I can create the images I want. Besides, it's fun to pretend, even when you're pushing 60. I gave the best man toast, and tried to work in a plug for a part-time legislature. I veered off that course when I saw the guests getting restless. They were looking at me like I was a Delta smelt stealing their water. No problem. . . time for funny stories about the groom without embarrassing him.

So we toasted, and ate and danced and told stories that we've told dozens of times before. The stories still got laughs. You just can't wear out a story when you're with old friends.

As I have said previously on this blog, I love weddings for all that they stand for. The uniting of a couple in love, of course, but also the long-lost friends that you get to see once more.

As I move toward 60, these occasions mean so much more to me. Maybe I'm getting sentimental, but I think God finally said it's time to give the old guy a bit of wisdom. I thank Him for that, and will try to act in accordance with all the blessings that I have received.

5 comments:

  1. These are very good, Jim. Thanks for sending. I'm through September and went back to June but now must get back to work. I'll get up-to-date over then next few evenings and then follow with interest to the finish on your birthday, and hopefully beyond. Thanks, again. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't only feeling good in your tux on Saturday night. You were looking good in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana: You're such a dear friend. Thanks for checking out the blog. . . It's been fun doing this. . . almost like a diary. You know how much I like to get in touch with my feelings. LOL. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous: Thanks for the vote of confidence on the wedding tux. I appreciate your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sure is a nice-looking tux, but shouldn't it be displayed on a younger model? Just kidding. You look good -- even if you're almost 60.

    ReplyDelete