Thursday, October 1, 2009

It's October -- the birthday month

This is the month that I turn 60 -- 17 days from now. But October is a big birthday month for my entire family. My Mom's birthday is Oct. 27, my brother's is Oct. 8 and my sister's is Oct. 6.

Then there's my dear friend Kathy, who also turns 60 this month. She reaches that magic milestone on Oct. 6. Yes, she is older than me -- by 12 days -- and I never let her forget it. In fact, in five days, she will be in her 60s and I'll still be in my 50s.

On Saturday, Kathy's daughter is throwing a big birthday bash for her. It'll be fun. There's a group of our friends who have birthdays this time of the year, and we've had some great celebrations.

This occasion reminds me of a wonderful list of the most important things invented in the past 2,000 years. The entry that I like the most is reading glasses, which was suggested by a New York professor. His reasoning was simple: Reading glasses have been crucial to our development and "prevented the world from being ruled by people under 40."

So I raise my glass -- and my reading glasses -- in salute to the month of October. It is where this journey to 60 ends, and where another one begins. Cheers.

9 comments:

  1. I love this post Opinionman.
    I raise my glass with you. Salute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your wisdom. As you grow older, you grow smarter. . . Too bad we couldn't have this wisdom in our 20s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I raise my glass also - and look forward to doing that with you Sat night. However, I don't need the reading glasses - even though I AM 12 days older and will be in my 60s in 5 days when you'll still be in your 50s! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if you don't need reading glasses and I do, maybe I'm the one who is older. Thanks for being a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You folks sound like a bunch of old farts trying to claim you're not. Accept it. You're old and no amount of whining about it is going to change that simple fact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reno Fred: If Reno is your gambling destination, I bet you are an old fart, too. How much is that bus trip to Reno for a gamblers weekend amyway? Just kidding, RF. I welcome all suggestions on this blog. And I hope we don't sound like we're whining about growing older. We are just trying to find a way to do it that's fun and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I raise my glass, and glasses, to you also. I turned 60 in May and it is not so bad...just takes a few months to get used to. Love the Senior discounts though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The closer I get to 60, the younger it becomes. It's not the same 60 our grandparents experienced...they were old!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a great party Saturday night, and the hosts did a fabulous job. So much wonderful food, desserts and spirits. Cheers to everyone -- especially the birthday girl.

    ReplyDelete