Sunday, October 11, 2009

Seven days to 60, and a party of nine

It's getting close, folks, and people are already celebrating my entry into the 60s. Hold on here. We've still got a week until it's official. But I'm accepting the earlybird birthday special.

Some members of my family threw me a small party last night, and I'm so grateful for the work they put into this gathering to usher in my 60th birthday. My mother, my brothers and my sister, as well as their spouses and significant others, were there. That made it a party of nine, including me and Jill.

The menu was incredible, steak and lobster, and the meal was topped off with German chocolate cake. We ate, drank and told stories all evening. There was a lot of laughing and a lot of reminiscing. This party went late (considering my age) and we didn't leave Eddie's and Linda's house until 1 a.m. I had a great time.

But I'm not used to partying that late, and when the alarm went off this morning for church. I was very tired. But I made the 9:15 a.m. service and got my usual seat -- fourth row from the back on the right. The seats in the back go first, as Pastor Tim is fond of pointing out.

It was nice having this small gathering with my brothers and sister and my mom. My mother earned sainthood long ago raising five children, including four boys. I'm the oldest child and over the next few years my siblings will be turning 60, too. But right now, turning 60 is all about me.

12 comments:

  1. It looks like it was a great party. Good luck on 60. It should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I looks like you have a very fun family. I have only one question. What's with the number five candle on your cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. we missed the family party due to cousin's wedding in walnut creek however we were there in spirit. wishing you a terrific time turning 60!! remember... it's just a number. dan n sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Uncle Jim! Much love from your favorite niece Amie:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coconut: Thanks for the comment. We only had one candle and it had a "5" on it. So we're not only getting older, we're getting cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue: We missed you guys, but we did have extra steak and lobster. . . But we still missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the birthday wish, Amie. I'm not getting older, I'm getting, well, older!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like fun, Jim! Way to party all the way up until your big day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the cutest picture....well, minus linda and kim throwin their hands in front of everyones face! I sure wish i was invited :(

    Happy 60th
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, Sunday is the big day and you'll be 60 officially. So how are you feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was great seeing my younger cousin (By 2 months)turn 60, expecially since I haven't seen him for close to 40 years. Now we are both 60...let the fun begin! Give everyone else my love too!

    ReplyDelete