Monday, October 5, 2009

Countdown to 60 is now in a sprint

It's coming fast. The milestone of turning 60 seemed so far away in June when I started this blog and now we are inside two weeks. I don't feel any different, but saying you're 60 sounds so very old to me. I suppose it's too late to lie and tell people I'm 59 when they ask my age. That's the downside of putting your birthday details on the Internet.

I didn't make my goal of throwing the shot put 36 feet by Oct. 4. I'm stuck on 27 feet, 6 inches as a personal best. But I'm stepping up my training and hope to get close to my original goal in the next two weeks. I'll keep you informed on my progress. I missed two seniors meets -- one in San Diego on Sept. 12 and one in Las Vegas this past weekend -- so I may have to wait until next year for formal competition. I just wasn't ready to compete.

This diary of my thoughts, fears and bits of wisdom that I've picked up over my almost 60 years has been an interesting way of marking this important milestone in my life. I never would have thought that so many of you would be checking in. My original belief was that this blog wouldn't be read by many people. But a little radio publicity on Alan Autry's KYNO talk show helped get the word out that I was writing this blog.

Thank you for participating, especially all of you who have added great comments to my entries. You have offered wisdom and wit, and made this a better blog with your comments.

So I'm 13 days away from 60, which means I'm 59 years, 11 months and 352 days old. But who's counting?

5 comments:

  1. What happens to this blog when you reach your 60th birthday? And...On Oct 18th,where's the party going to be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure where this blog is headed when I hit 60 in 13 days. It may continue, and I'll write about being 60. . . or it could end as I intended when I named it "Surviving Turning 60." It was about the journey to 60 and I really didn't consider it continuing when it began last June. But it just might if I figure I have something worthwhile to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading the blog and I hope it does not stop. I can tell you as one who has already turned 60 that there will be very interesting things to write about as you get into this decade. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have really enjoyed reading this blog also. It would be nice if it continued into "After Turning 60". As someone who shares the same alma mater (Hoover), I didn't know you every well, and this blog has bridged that gap. It has been nice to get to know you somewhat "up front and personal". Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your note, Anonymous. And good to hear you're a Patriot. I'm glad that we can get to know each other through this blog and I hope to have a chance to chat qwith you sometime. You can always send a note through my Fresno Bee email address. "After Turning 60" could be the sequel to this blog. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete