Sunday, August 16, 2009

We're approaching countdown

In two days, it will be exactly two months from my 60th birthday, which is the reason I started the Surviving Turning 60 blog in the first place. The idea was that I'd write about what I'm going through as I get ready for this significant birthday. For the most part, I've written about issues facing people in our age group, but I haven't really explored in any real depth my feelings about turning 60.

I plan to do more of that in what I'm calling the countdown period -- the 60 days leading up to Oct. 18. That begins on Tuesday, Aug. 18. So we'll see where this discussion goes. My hope is for me to get in touch with my feelings and maybe share that with those of you who are feeling the same thing about turning 60.

On Saturday, I decided that I would begin training for a seniors track meet. These are age group events, and my grouping would be 60-65. I chose the shot put because I think I can do this event. I know I can throw the shot better than I can run the 110-yard hurdles or pole vault over a bar and into a pit.

I bought a 12-pound shot to begin training. Nobody sells these things in this town. I finally found it at First String Sports on Blackstone. In the 60-65 age group, they use a 5-kilogram shot, which is 11 pounds. The only one I could find was 12 pounds so it will have to do for my training.

I set up a shot put area in my back yard. Searching on the Internet, I found that I need to be able to do about 35 feet to be competitive and at least 42 feet if I want to get one of the top three places in a meet. My best on Saturday was 24 feet, so I have a ways to go in my training.

This was the first time I ever did this. My technique is bad, and my strength will improve. So with some coaching and weight work, I think I can add the distance needed over the next two months. By my birthday, my goal is to add 15 feet, which would mean a 39-foot toss. There's an event in San Diego on Sept. 12, but I don't think I will be ready that soon.

You should see the dents that a 12-pound ball puts in the lawn. That is one casualty so far, and my arm is very sore, but in a good way. I haven't pulled anything so I didn't overdue it.

Do you think there will be drug tests? They do call some of these events "Senior Olympics." This is the dream (or nightmare)that I have been having:

"Sorry, you have been disqualified. Your drug tests came back positive for blood pressure and cholesterol medications." I plead that they aren't performance-enhancing drugs, and the meet director says, "Well, they're keeping you alive and we consider that performance enhancing. The last dead guy didn't post a score."

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You are a brave soul. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Go get'em!!

    ReplyDelete