Thursday, August 27, 2009

Two weddings and a birthday

Big events are coming in the next two months, and the calendar will rule our movements as we get ready for two weddings in September. And then my 60th birthday is in October, which is what this blog has been about since I started it in June.

But the focus right now is on the September weddings. My nephew is getting married on Sept. 5 and a very close friend is getting married two Saturdays later. I love weddings because they bring family members and friends together from all over the country. There's a lot of stress and there never seems to be enough time to get everything done. But it always seems to work out.

The September weddings represent a wide spectrum of brides and grooms on life's journeys. The first wedding is of a young couple just setting out on that path. The second wedding is of contemporaries -- at least the groom is in my age group -- a little farther along that path but no less committed to making the journey together.

It's all very cool, and coming very soon -- as is my big event. It's only 53 days away. The idea of this blog was to talk about how to survive turning 60. I'm not sure whether I'm surviving it, or it just keeps bearing down on my like a freight train. This is where we cue the Johnny Cash music. . . "I hear the train a comin'. . . "

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. I love weddings. You get to dress up, see old friends and toast the new couple. Don't stress at the wedding. I once read that the only people who really stress are the parents of the bride and groom. It's about their kids, but they want it to be about them. I don't believe that because parents mostly want everything to go right, and something always happens. This is a big even for everyone. My advive is to roll with it, and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy these celebrations. Don't worry about getting older. There is comfort in knowing that everyone is getting older with you... except the ones that have died. Better to get old than die.

    ReplyDelete