Tuesday, August 25, 2009

So this is what an actual shot put pit looks like


I walked over to the Fresno State track on Sunday morning to check out the track and field facilities, and saw the shot put area. I have an interest now in anything to do with the shot put because I'm training for a seniors track meet. The shot put is my event because, well, I can't run the hurdles. This is one of the ways I'm coping with turning 60. That comes in 55 days.

I took a photo of the shot put area with my cell phone and it's posted above. This is a lot better than the makeshift shot put area in my back yard. The shot put pit in the photo is at Fresno State's Dutch Warmerdam Field, which is named for the Bulldog's longtime track coach Cornelius "Dutch" Warmerdam.

Warmerdam, who died in 2001, was the first athlete to pole vault 15 feet, which he accomplished initially in 1940. He did it with a bamboo pole, compared with the fiberglass models used now that whipsaw vaulters over the bar. Warmerdam dominated pole vaulting in the 1940s and held the world record for 15 years until it was broken in 1957. He was considered one of the best athletes in the world.

I do feel a little sheepish hanging around a field named for a sports legend, and acting like I belong. I'm not sure if I have the guts to actually take my shot put ball over to the field and toss it out of the pit. . . Maybe I'll stick to my backyard where I know I belong.

6 comments:

  1. Ok, so get out there and do it, and stop writing about it. You'll never meet your goal without practice, practice, practice. Doing well in sports is about discipline. . . taking a task and doing it well. You set a goal and you're not satisfied if your don't improve on your personal best. Sports teach many lessons in life, and you're in the middle of one of them. Will you succeed or will you fail. It's all up to you. . . no one else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take your shot put over and try it out. Maybe one of the trainers or athletes can give you a few tips. It's not about winning or losing, it's about going out there and doing your best. I'm sure those young FSU athletes would think it's great that you are trying something new at the age of 59.10 years. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're only as old as you feel. . . and some days that's very old and some days that's very young. Just roll with it, and all will be fine. It's very impressive that someone at your age would choose to do some that's athletic rather than sit on the sidelines. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement, Martha. This is sort of a lark. My main reason for doing it is to lose some weight and develop an exercise routine. A shot put ball -- this one is 12 pounds -- seems very heavy. But there is a thrill in pushing your personal best an inch or two beyond the previous mark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim, I'm full of admiration for you in this undertaking, though I confess I don't entirely understand it. I'd be likely to engage in more sedentary sports, such as politician-cussing, sock-sorting and ambidextrous channel-surfing. Now there’s an active life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Russ. I'm not sure this was the smartest thing I've ever tried. . . but I'm committed publicly now so I'll have to follow through.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete