Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Frustration over health care reform is bigger than health care

We've all seen by now the protests at the town hall meetings on the health care legislation now before Congress. But judging by the anger coming out of the mouths of protesters, this is more about frustration with government than it is about health insurance.

It would be helpful to discuss this important issue without the name-calling and yelling. So let's wipe all that frustration away and have a decent discussion about the future of health care in our country. Where do we want it to go, how much do we want to pay for it and who is going to be covered? Those are simple questions and the answers should be simple to provide.

I'll start by saying I think our health care is the best in the world. The problem is that it's being rationed by insurance companies under the current setup. Insurance execs are the gatekeepers to health care whether Republicans want to admit it or not. How many of us have had prescriptions that our doctors have written denied by the insurance companies? How many have had procedures denied or delayed by insurance companies?

The system needs to be fixed. But to hear the protesters talk, the current system is perfect. That makes me wonder what kind of health insurance they have. Must be the Cadillac care that so many people wish they had.

I've seen the bad side of insurance coverage, and I know many of you have, too. Companies deny payment several times, hoping you won't resubmit the claim, even if the policy says it should be paid. If you send it in enough times, they'll finally pay it. And this is for procedures that are covered.

It's the practice of many insurance companies to deny the payment for awhile just to see if they can get away with not paying.

We must do better in this country, and we will -- unless the insurance companies win the battle against health care reform.

3 comments:

  1. There are many issues that must be resolved before we can get a workable reform, but health reform is needed, especially doing away with pre-existing conditions. How are people with health issues supposed to get coverage if the insuarnce companeis can turn them away? But the plan in Congress must be an improvement and not just a change for change sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim - I've had three heart attacks and numerous heart related procedures over the past 16 years. Never once has an insurance company denied any claim. My doctor prescribed Plavix as a result of my heart related problems. The VA, where I get my drugs now, won't give it to me. It is too expensive. So, if I want it I pay for it out of my own pocket. When I had private insurance it paid for my Plavix every time.

    Putting the government in charge of health care, which is the ultimate goal, will not improve health care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not totally happy with my health insurance plan however I've never had a claim denied or a payment delayed.
    I am concerned about the high cost of care. Why does a tylenol tablet cost ten dollars? Is it the cost of paying for those who can't? If healthcare is reformed will these costs return to reality? What about tort reform? I understand that malpractice lawsuits don't exist in European countries where doctors are employees of the government. Maybe this is one of the reasons their system is less expensive than ours.
    I would be happy if these types of things are addressed prior to making such a huge change.

    ReplyDelete