Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A baby boomer's question: What will the last two months of my 50s bring?

I'm two months away from 60 today and now I'm wondering whether I'm making too much of these final days of my 50s. But I decided to chronicle this milestone, so that's where this blog is going between now and Oct. 18. You'll have to indulge me.

I'm still a little surprised that the years moved this quickly. I know everyone says that, but my 50s went by in a flash. That is probably because they were very rewarding -- professionally and personally. I think my 60s will be as much fun, although undoubtedly in different ways. I'm looking forward to whatever this next decade has to offer.

I have already told you that I'm training to throw the shot put in seniors track meets. That will be fun and I hope I meet my goal of not only being able to compete, but also do well in the competition. One of the reasons I'm doing this is to get in shape, and this goal keeps the pressure on me.

I need to spend more time at the gym. I pay dues to Gold's Gym, yet I have been going in spurts as of late. Can it be a "spurt" if the last time I was at the gym was two months ago? I feel much better when I go, yet I can't find the time to get there. Now, that doesn't make sense, but it's the way it is.

I'm a baby boomer trying to figure out what's next. There are millions of us in this generation going through the same thing. Those of us born in 1949 are turning 60 this year. I'm one of them, and the countdown to Oct. 18 has begun. I hope you stay with me as I talk about this experience.

3 comments:

  1. I'm about the same age and I like the idea of someone writing down the thoughts that I may have on turning 60 -- what a milestone year. This blog has been interesting from the start, especially your first entry that talked about whether 60 was the new 40. You wisely said it wasn't. We can't be what we aren't, and we shouldn't even try. This is a glorious time of our lives. We'll have hurdles and we'll have victories. Savor all of them. It means we are human -- and that we are alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in this and don't pull a muscle (or muscles). You may start out to get in shape, but you could end up testing the health care system and your insurance company's willingness to pay for a self-inflicted wound. The shot put sounds dangerous. Don't drop it on your foot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not that big of a deal. It's just a number.

    ReplyDelete