Saturday, August 22, 2009

Grilling on a casual Saturday


On this Saturday morning, 57 days from my 60th birthday, I continued my training on the shot put, adding a few inches to my backyard personal best. I tossed the 12-pound ball 26 feet, 8 inches. That's well short of my goal of 36 feet, but I'm making steady progress.

This has turned out to be a casual weekend, the first one I've had in awhile. That's nice. We've been over-scheduled this summer. And it's still summer, judging by the thermometer. But the Fresno weather seems to have been overcome by the humidity of the south. I definitely don't like muggy weather. Where's that dry heat Fresno is famous for?

Tonight we're going to barbecue hamburgers stuffed with blue (or is it bleu?) cheese. That should be fun, and keeping with the casual theme of the weekend. Next week will be a busy one at work so this pace is perfect.

It's funny how you appreciate your casual time more as you get older. I suppose it's because we've been part of a hectic pace for so long. At a younger age, I would have called this weekend "boring." I'm signing off and heading for the remainder of my boring -- er, casual -- weekend.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Opinionman, sounds like an awesome weekend, even at my age ;-) Enjoy the rest of it.
    MK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, as I age, I prefer small intimate groups of people as apposed to large crowds, like I did in my younger days. I find I am more selective with who I want to spend time with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MK, Thanks for the note, and good luck with the "empty nest." Nice for you to have another Bulldog in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous: Small groups are fun, and a chance to have real conversations with your guests. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bleu burgers really look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slam some thick red onions on them and put it all between a big old bun. . . now that's heaven, and on most days better than the best steak. Throw in a sixer of beer and you're living the life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inch by inch, that's how you get better. Runners are ecstatic when they shave seconds, or milliseconds off their times.
    Babies don't start off running. They gradually gain more strength in the different areas of their bodies. They start off wobbly and uncertain. But it is a marathon and not a sprint, much as life is. Sprints only happen after the mastering of putting one foot in front of the other without falling down. Your gradual increase in inches are baby steps. You are still learning, in keeping with the analogy, to put one foot in front of the other without falling down. The initial stumbling and falling will lead to greater strength and a greater knowledge of how your body works when throwing the shot put. Which in turn will lead to the accomplishment of your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the inspirational comments.

    -- Opinionman

    ReplyDelete