Sunday, July 26, 2009

This is the time of our lives when battle against the bulge is the toughest

I've been on a diet most of my life and I know it's getting even more difficult to take weight off as I age. I was very active in sports through about age 50, and that helped, although I loved to eat. But I don't play soccer or baseball anymore, ending my participation in those teams sports just before I hit 50.

Now I play golf occasionally. While golf is a difficult sport to play, you're not going to lose weight riding in a cart to your next shot. In fact, you gain weight playing golf. But it's fun. I also have a membership to Gold's Gym and used to faithfully attend four times a week for cardio and weight training. But I've lost my discipline for that this past year. I need to start going again.

I'm actually down about 20 pounds from a few years ago, though, thanks to a low-carb diet. But it's a battle everyday, and lately I've put too many sweet things in my mouth. I call it my "blow-carb" diet because I'm blowing right through carbs.

So what should we do as we approach age 60? The experts tell us, though, it would be much easier to control our weight by walking regularly. In fact, walking 30 minutes a day can help keep the pounds off in your 50s and into your 60s, according to the experts.

"A new study suggests that the more you walk, the less likely you'll gain weight as you age," says this article on the web site MedicineNet.com. "Researchers followed nearly 5,000 men and women for 15 years and found that a half hour of walking per day reduced the usual weight gain per year by 1 pound among women who were the heaviest at the start of the study."

So get out there and walk. No excuse.

2 comments:

  1. Hiking is a fun way to get exercise with the added bonus of being in the great outdoors. But one word of advice (OK, four).... don't ever hike alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very wise one, CaliCook.

    ReplyDelete