Saturday, July 18, 2009

It was 108 in Fresno, and it gave us something to talk about

It's July and it's Fresno in the heart of California's San Joaquin Valley. It's supposed to be hot. . . That's not news, but it's all we are talking about -- the 108-degree heat, and ways of dodging the rising temperatures.

My first choice is to head for the movie theaters and leave the air conditioning off at home. A two-hour movie using someone else's AC sounds appealing. Then there's the shopping mall where not many people are buying but a lot are using the free AC. But my favorite the other day was going into the walk-in cold box at Costco where they display the vegetables. That cooled me down.

The difference between 101 degrees and 108 is more than 7 degrees when you factor in the "mental temperature," which is how you view heat. It's sort of like the opposite of the wind-chill factor. When it's 101, it's hot but bearable. When it's 108, it seems like 128.

We're in the third year of a drought and the heat causes extra stress to the garden. But if you water wisely, you plants will make it through the increased temperatures. But as I approach 60, I'm not sure I can withstand the heat the way I did when I was 55.

3 comments:

  1. All things being equal, I'd rather be in Pismo. . . But Fresno is Fresno and that means it is hot in the summer, foggy in the winter and wonderful in the spring and fall. That's why we call it God's Country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you don't have to factor in 90% humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So today it's 79 in Fresno. . . How the seasons change.

    ReplyDelete