Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hiking helps the brain

Brain experts tell us that exercise is good for brain function, including helping to maintain your memory as you age. My suggestion is to do regular hiking in one of our National Parks or scenic forests. That'll keep the synapses firing.

I like nearby Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks because I can make an easy day trip to these natural wonders from my Central California home. There are rigorous trails and scenic trails for less-skilled hikers. You'll get plenty of exercise and get as close to nature as you dare. Bring a camera.

On a Saturday at the end of last summer, we went to Grant Grove, home of the General Grant Tree (the nation's Christmas Tree) and strolled the Grant Tree Trail. Then we took a hike to the Buck Rock Lookout, which is in the Big Meadows area in the Seqouia National Forest. What a view.

This is a moderately strenuous walk to get to the lookout, which is on a granite dome at an elevation of 8,502 feet. The final ascent is via 172 steps on a flight of stairs, which are connected to the side of Buck Rock. It's very easy, and you can rest at various points if you get tired.

If you're ever in the area, check out Sequoia/Kings. If you don't get to this part of the country, there are National Parks, National Forests or local or state parks near you for your hiking pleasure.

Your feet may be tired when the day's done, but your brain will love you for it.

2 comments:

  1. Hiking in new places makes your brain more tired, instead of resting it. For example if I hike on Sunday, I cannot work properly on Monday.

    The brain probably needs an extra day to rewire the things that were registered as not seen yet. Something like when a big change happens in your life, i.e. you get married.

    And if I don't go hiking for two weeks, I cannot work well either. It seems that you can become dependent of the euphoria produced by hiking/seeing new places.

    So, I don't know what's the best. Maybe going to new places only once every two months?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About this rewiring: I bought a mountain bike in April 2004. Previously I've had only a 20 year old single speed bicycle. In August 2004 I've cycled 180 kms in a day, a distance that I previously thought impossible for a beginner. After this ride I could not ride my bicycle for 2 weeks, because my mind was, without my will, somewhat subconsciously, thinking about this ride, and I could not concentrate. (The physical tiredness disappeared a lot faster - in a few days - than the mental one.)

    ReplyDelete