Saturday, May 8, 2010

Maybe a little coaching would help this old guy

With a week away from the Manteca Seniors Meet, I need to make some progress in my performances in both the shot put and discus. I'm at the point where I'm not making significant gains in my distances, and that's frustrating.

I went to the Fresno State track this morning to work on the shot put, and the Bulldogs "throwers" were practicing in the discus/hammer cage. I asked if the shot put pit was available and throwing coach Lisa Misipeka said it was wide open. Fresno State has been very generous with their track facilities.

I began warming up, and a few minutes later one of the Fresno State athletes walked over to ask if I needed some tips. This wasn't just any athlete. It was Rosie Sanchez, one of the nation's top shot putters. Rosie will be in Ruston, La., next weekend to compete in the WAC Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Louisiana Tech. She has the second-best throw in the WAC this season and she said she's going to this weekend's meet to win the conference championship. I'm rooting for her.

She gave me several suggestions, including pointing out that I don't launch the shot from the right spot. I act as if I'm trying to throw it, and I should have it closer to my chin and then push it. She also said I need to lead with my hips to get an explosive launch. I tend to start my glide in a strong position, and then lose momentum as I reach the toe board and push the ball.

I have noticed that I can almost get as much distance without the glide, so it's clear that I'm not talking full advantage of the seven-foot ring.

Rosie gave me several drills that should help (if my 60-year-old brain can remember them).

I'm going to work on the discus this evening. Unfortunately, I'll be my own coach, and we've seen how far that's gotten me so far.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say that being your own coach has gotten you pretty far. You've stayed motivated and passionate about your desire to stick with this. That's the hardest part. Style and form can always be tweaked but the commitment that you've shown is the hardest part to maintain. Go for the GOLD Opinionman.

    ReplyDelete